info@visitkutaisi.com (+995)557263153 / (+995)593548507 Brochure 2015 / 2014
Kutaisi

Kutaisi is located in the most beautiful part of Georgia. The city, built on the banks of the Rioni River has a great history. It is one of the most ancient cities in the world. It was first mentioned in the ancient Greek mythology and history during the Minoan era (B.C. 17th–15th century). Kutaisi is also mentioned in a famous Greek epic poem “Argonautica,” written 3300 years ago.

In the 6th century, the cities of Lazika-Egrisi (a kingdom which existed in that time on the territory of present Western Georgia) turned into the war arena between Byzantines and Persians.

In the 8th century, Kutaisi was the capital of the Kingdom of Abkhazia-Egrisi.

Read more...
Baghdati

Baghdati is a green district with a big touristic potential for those who like unexplored areas. At first, the municipality was a part of Kutaisi province and in 1930 it became an independent district. Its main town also called Baghdati, is placed at the edge of the Ajameti forest, by the Khanistsqali River (a tributary of the Rioni River). Its name derives from Old Persian and can be translated as “the gift of God”. It is not a coincidence that the name is similar to the name of Iraq’s capital Baghdad. Baghdati is one of the cities which were situated on the Silk Route where in the past merchants used to transport countless goods from the Middle East.

Read more...
Chiatura

Chiatura is located in the mountainous part of Imereti. It lies in the gorge of the Kvirila River and is surrounded by cliffs. City districts are connected with the center via cable cars. Chiatura was founded in 1879 after manganese ore mines were opened there. From 1917 under the administration of Kutaisi and it became an independent district in 1930. Local flora isn’t too diversified, the most common forestry species are hornbeam, oak, ashen and linden. Fauna is represented by Caucasian deer, roe deer, chamois, wolves, Caucasian marten, lynx and others. Agriculture isn’t top industry in Chiatura.

Read more...
Kharagauli

The main city of the district called Kharagauli was established in the 19th century. The region was under the administration of Kutaisi until 1930 when it became a separate district. In 1949, it was renamed Orjonikidze. However, in 1989 the original name was restored.

Through Kharagauli District run two mountain ranges - Meskheti and Likhi. The highest mountain range in the district is Gedsamania. The territory is covered with crystal slate stones, tuff, tuff sandstones, cretaceous limestone, and dolomites. There are mines of marble and Quartz. Kharagauli is also famous for its mineral water springs: Nunisi, Zvare, and Ukanchali.

Read more...
Khoni

Khoni town is located in the Imereti lowland on the bank of the Tskhenistskali River, at the altitude of 114 meters.

During excavations, conducted on the territory of Khoni district, archaeologists found 1270 coins of "Colchis Tetri", as well as Byzantine and Turkish coins. The research also revealed settlements dated to the Late Bronze Age.

First permanent establishments from the Middle Ages were discovered in Khoni city close to a 13th-century church. It was a large basilica with the three-nave basilica type with no dome.

Read more...
Samtredia

Samtredia is located partly on the Colchis Lowland and partly on Sajavakho Tableland. The territory is divided in half by the Rioni River. The other major river in the region is the Gubistskali River. The region was famous for its economic development – it had one of the first railway points (Tbilisi – Poti railway built in 1971 – 1872), and during decades, well prospering factories (chocolate, tea and wood processing). Currently, agriculture is dominating as the main source of income.

Its main town, also called Samtredia, was first mentioned in written sources, in the 18th century as the village of Samtredia.

Read more...

<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
Page 1 of 2

Districts Maps

Map Of Georgia

Map Of Imereti

 

 

 

 

Blog
Address: Georgia, Kutaisi, 4600. Gorki St #18
E-mail:info@visitkutaisi.com
Phone:(+995)557263153 / (+995)593548507


The Project co-financed by the Polish development cooperation programme of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland.